Thursday, January 2, 2014

Janus at the Gate


Janus, the Roman god of Gates, whose two faces look towards the past and the future, and for whom the month of January is named after. An very interesting and apropos Roman god for the new year. 

2013 has been a year of ups and downs. Meeting new friends and saying farewell to close ones. A year that marked the end of one era and the beginning of the next. One filled with pride, accomplishment, and excitement. One full of anxiety, doubt, and frustrations. A year I would do all over again and yet would never wish it repeated. 

I left 2013 and entered 2014 on not the best of notes (what with issues with my student loans servicer and a laptop that's crashing far too often). And least of which I was working on both Christmas and New Year's (actually at work now). What kind of year will 2014 be?  Surely one we make, right?

Lately I've been left feeling so out of balance and it's difficult to find the way back, much less time to look for the way. But 2014 needs to be a year where I can center myself, refocus my energy, find my motivation, and let the wounds of 2013 scar over. Time heals all wounds, but the scars they leave serve as constant reminders of what was. 

I have no particular resolutions. I'd just make the same ones as I do every year. Eat healthier. Work out more. Lose weight. Find love. Explore more. Travel more. Easier said than done when I'm still figuring things out day by day, week by week. 

I do not mean this post to be a depressing one. I am a realist, and reality isn't rose colored. There are some positive things to look forward to this year. In many ways, after the first couple months there is only up. But I must not rest my laurels, vigilance is still needed.

If I am so lucky, so bold, maybe - just maybe - I can achieve some that which I hadn't been able to for several years now. Let the new year begin!

4 comments:

fan of casey said...

No, you post is not depressing. Just grounded in reality. The cycle of life, whether day, week, month, or year has ups and downs. It's very natural and normal.

I don't make resolutions either. Your perspective for advancement needs a longer time frame. Think back where you were in high school, then college, then medical school. Time seems to pass slowly when you are right in the middle of things, but when you use your long-distance lens, look how far you have advanced and achieved.

Few people can actually realize all their potential yet you are making good progress. You are still climbing to the peak on many fronts, so cut yourself some slack.

Mike said...

You're in California - live a little - try something new!

Sounds like 2013 was a year of transition.

naturgesetz said...

Good luck in 2014.

I've never thought of or seen a depiction of Janus as female. Quite an imaginative leap.

Biki Honko said...

Life sure does has its ups and downs. Life tends to vary between giving us a smile and a pat, and then a colossal slap, sigh.

Get out of the hospital, in your "free" time and live a little. California is full of coolness in scenery and things to do.