Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The First Lady with Grace



I just got done watching the first night of the 2012 National Democratic Convention.  I was floored by Michelle Obama's speech bringing the first night to a close.  I'm also rather floored that it's already posted in its entirety on YouTube for you all to replay.

I believe it connected with many Americans in a very personal way.  It highlighted the struggles to improve one's station in life and that though it may not be realized in one's own life, it can happen through one's children or one's children's children.  It's not dissimilar to the story of my own family, immigrating from Hong Kong in search of a better life.  How my mom's family lived together in one apartment and I was cared for by all family members when I was born.  How my parents, grandparents, and uncles began on food stamps.  How my family worked its butt off to allow me, my brothers, and my cousins to be where we are today.

She tactfully touched upon all the social issues that President Obama has in some way championed - women's rights, healthcare reform, gay rights and marriage, and support for veterans.  She humanized him in a way that only she would be able to do.  She gracefully didn't lampoon the Republicans, something very refreshing to see.  It's easy to see why she's the most popular woman in the US.

I do agree with the news commentator on the TV - the Democrats have the social issues in hand, lock and step, but they need to refocus a good portion of the remaining nights of the Convention on the economic issues.  True, the economy has recovered and is growing, albeit slowly.  But they still need to bring that to the forefront.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Thanks for posting the video. I too am amazed with Michelle's speech (and jealous of her public speaking skills). As someone whose family also migrated to the US and has struggled so that my sibilings and I could have better opportunities, it really struck a chord in my heart. I've been so wrapped up in trying to leave the US and study abroad (I'm in college) and work abroad that I completely forgot about how the US has many opportunities that other countries are still struggling with, especially social class and socioeconomically. Although of course the US isn't perfect and has a lot of room for improvement (cough cough gay marriage and rights).

I love how both Michelle and Obama both came from humle
beginnings and know how hard it is to make a better life for
one's self. They know what it's like to be a part of the 99%. I also love how they seem to truly be in love with one another and aren't afraid to express that. I feel as f that's something
we haven't seen in our past presidents and first ladies.

Now I'm just rambling, but thanks again for posting the video!