Sunday, January 27, 2008

Defeated

Oh man it's late! But if I don't write now, this strain of thought will disappear by the time I wake up. And there's so much to tell. Where to begin? Let's just say I've been feeling defeated the last few days.
-----
1. I got a med school interview on Wednesday! It was really short (about 30-40 minutes) but I feel it went pretty well. My interviewer wasn't the most enthused, and he more or less just asked a list of questions. It felt so much like a Q&A rather than a conversation where he got to know me. But whatever. I think I've a pretty good shot at getting in at this med school; I mean, I've done research there for the last 4 summers for god sakes. Too bad it's only 30 minutes from my house, and if I were to attend it my parents would insist that I live at home for at least the first 2 years.

I met this guy from Toronto there. He was pretty cool. During the tour he asked me if I was Chinese and then if I spoke Cantonese. I said I could only understand Cantonese, but I speak only Mandarin. We talked a little more and then he told me he was half-Vietnamese and can speak some Vietnamese as well! That was neat. I can't say I've met many Vietnamese people (or half-Vietnamese at that).

2. Well, that good news was only paired with a rejection from the med school that I'm currently doing my undergrad. That felt like a dagger to the heart. I shouldn't have expected to even get an interview at "my" med school, as it's a very good and super-competitive med school. But still, it hurt and that rejection letter weighed more heavily on my heart than the interview I got on Wednesday. For no reason really, but still.

The universe has this habit of giving me news in pairs. With every good news there is some bad news or equal/greater merit. Sigh. Such a feeling of utter defeat (when it really shouldn't be).

3. I think I've mentioned this before, but my roommates are lazy. As in, I'm the one doing the dishes 90%+ of the time, I'm really the only one who cleans. I mean, I cleaned the bathroom once at the end of last semester. And I'm pretty sure that was the first and only time it's been cleaned since we moved into our apartment at the beginning of September. So yeah, that was utterly disgusting and if my roommates do clean, they must do such a crappy job that I don't notice (and few such things escape my perception).

I'm really getting tired of this. I don't want to confront my roommates and sound like a whiny bitch, because I think I give off that impression as is when I sigh in frustration (because they don't contribute to the cleaning). I probably sound like some inanely anal guy right now, but seriously - the bathroom was only cleaned ONCE, by me. Tell me to my face that's not gross, and I think it needs to be cleaned again. My amazing friend, JW-M, suggested an "experiment."

Basically, I should not use anything in my apartment for 2 weeks. Mostly, don't do the dishes, don't bother with the sink, etc. He (and his roommate, DJ-M) offered his apartment for me to use, so I can cook at his apartment whenever I desired using his stuff. I really want to try this and see what happens. But I also feel bad intruding in his apartment and using his stuff, maybe even some of his supplies.

At the end of these 2 weeks, if the sink/kitchen area is in total disarray, and they haven't felt/noticed/appreciated my absence, then I should have no qualms about confronting my roommates. It seems like a fair "experiment." I feel so defeated that I just might try out his experiment idea.
-----
I think that's all the ranting I've got in me. I'm a little sick (again). I don't get sick often, so when I do it bothers the hell out of me. I think I'm into the coughing/sneezing phase now. This means that it should pass in the next couple days, provided I'm not too stressed. Haha, not likely when I have exams and several papers/presentations due this coming week.

Such is life. The next couple posts will be more interesting, or so I've planned.

No comments: